The beauty of a soft shell crab is that there is no messy prep involved and you can eat the whole crab! Often used as tempura in Japanese cooking, why not try this version with a little curry spice for an Indian twist.
- 6 - 8 pieces of soft shell crabs
- 150g plain flour
- 150g cornflour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 ½ tsp curry powder
- 2 litres sunflower oil
For the dipping sauce:
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- ½ shallot - finely diced
- 1 green chilli - sliced
- handful coriander - finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Defrost the crabs
- Mix together all the ingredients for the dipping sauce and set aside.
- Heat the oil to 190°C in a heavy bottom pan or deep fat fryer, prepare a try lined with kitchen paper.
- Mix together the flours, sea salt, pepper & curry powder. Whisk the egg whites until they are fluffy and form soft peaks
- Dip the crabs into the egg whites then coat in the flour mixture, drop into the hot oil and cook for 3 minutes, drain on the kitchen paper. Fry the crabs in batches so you don’t crowd the pan. Sprinkle with a little sea salt before serving with the dipping sauce.
Other recipes you might like