This take on Beignets uses jumbo lump crab meat and egg whites to make a batter which is then fried to golden perfection. They make a great canape, snack or starter!
- 1 tub blue swimmer jumbo lump crab meat
- 2 large egg whites
- 200g good quality mayonnaise
- 50g grain mustard
- 2 spring onions - finely chopped
- 1 shallot - finely chopped
- 1 lemon - half juice & other half reserved for garnish
- 80g panko breadcrumbs
- 2 litres sunflower oil
- Maldon Sea Salt
- 50g tomato ketchup
- 50g good quality mayonnaise
- few drops of Tabasco
- juice of ½ a lemon
- Whisk the egg whites until they are light and fluffy and hold a soft peak. Stir in the mayonnaise and mustard.
- Place the crab meat into a separate bowl and use your hands to quickly pick through to check there is no shell present. Mix in the remaining ingredients followed by the egg white mix; the mixture will be quite loose. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to firm up.
- Meanwhile mix together the ingredients for the cocktail sauce.
- In a heavy bottom pan or deep fat fryer, heat the oil to 180°C; prepare a tray lined with kitchen paper. Use your hands to form balls of 1-2 tbsp of the crab mixture then fry for around 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on the kitchen paper, sprinkle with a little sea salt before serving with the cocktail sauce.
Other recipes you might like