Just a fancy name for a crab dip! This is a warm dip made with jumbo lump crabmeat and a cheesy roux, and is definitely a crowd pleaser. Serve alongside some crusty bread and it’s the perfect winter warmer!
- 1 tub of jumbo lump crab meat
- 40g unsalted butter
- 1 (410ml) can of evaporated milk
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 40g gruyere cheese, grated
- 40g emmental, grated
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- A few drops of Tabasco
- White pepper
- Maldon Sea Salt
- Finely slice the spring onions, reserving some of the green part for garnish
- Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat, add the celery and onion and cook gently until soft. Meanwhile, whisk together the evaporated milk & egg yolks.
- Next stir in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes while stirring, followed by the evaporated milk mixture. Cook for another couple of minutes until it thickens.
- Remove from the heat and add ½ the cheese, followed by the seasonings. The mixture should be thick but still a runny consistency, you can add a little milk to loosen it if needed. Finally, gently mix in the crab meat.
- Transfer the mixture to some oven proof skillets or dishes, and top with the remaining cheese and sliced spring onion. Set aside until ready to bake.
- Bake in the oven at 180°c for 10-15 minutes (15-20 if cooking from fridge cold) then quickly under the grill until it is nice and golden brown on top. Serve with slices of crusty bread for dipping.
Other recipes you might like