Finding alternative ways to serve caviar can be tricky, but this roast chicken with caviar sauce is definitely a winner! Brine your chicken and you will get a tender succulent result every time!
- 1.8kg free range chicken
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g girolle mushrooms, brushed clean
- 10g butter
- 400g new potatoes, halved
- 2 cloves garlic
For the sauce:
- 500ml chicken stock
- 20g butter
- 50ml double cream
- 30g oscietra caviar
- First brine the chicken. Mix together the sea salt, baking powder, lemon zest and olive oil; pat the chicken dry with kitchen paper the rub the salt mixture all over the chicken. Place in the fridge on a wire rack uncovered for a few hours then cover loosely with cling film and leave for a total of 24-48 hours.
- When you’re ready to roast your chicken, pre heat the oven to 200ºC. Place the chicken in a roasting tin & wipe off some of the excess salt brine. Crush the garlic cloves with the back of your hand then add to the roasting tin along with the new potatoes around the chicken; drizzle the potatoes with a little olive oil.
- Roast the chicken for 20 mins per 450g (plus 10-20 mins); this will be around 1hr 30-40 minutes for a 1.8kg chicken.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and check the juices of the chicken are running clear. Cover with a couple of layers of foil and leave to rest while you make the sauce and mushrooms.
- Reduce the chicken stock by ¾ to around 150ml, it will look syrupy. Transfer to a blender and blend in the butter and cream. Return to the pan and place over a low heat to warm back through.
- Add the mushrooms to a dry pan over a medium/high heat and cook for a few minutes, add the butter and a little salt and toss all together.
- Add any resting juices from the chicken into the sauce, and at the last minute when you’re ready to serve everything, gently stir the caviar into the sauce.
Other recipes you might like