Wow your friends and family with this indulgent dessert. Whisked egg whites give this chocolate cake a light souffle texture, despite the super rich chocolatey-ness!
- 370g dark 70% Amedei chocolate, chopped
- 170g soft light muscovado sugar
- 55 ml water
- 30g unsalted butter - cubed and at room temperature
- 5 large eggs - separated
- 1 vanilla pod - split and seeds removed or alternatively 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (155°C fan). Grease & line a 9-inch spring form cake tin and lightly dust with cocoa powder.
- Put the chocolate and butter in a bowl. Heat the sugar and water in a pan over a medium heat until it comes to a simmer and the sugar is dissolved. Pour the sugar mixture over the chocolate & butter and allow it to sit, stirring occasionally until it all melts together. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks.
- Next, mix the egg yolks and vanilla into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the egg whites.
- Pour 2/3 of the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 35 minutes until firm. Remove the cake from the oven and turn the oven temperature down to 160°C (140°C fan). Pour the remaining mixture into the tin and bake for a further 20 minutes until just set on the top.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before removing from the tin. Sprinkle with cocoa powder before serving with whipped cream or ice cream.
Other recipes you might like