Heart-warming slow cooked beef rendang. Full of flavour and a little heat, perfect for a chilly day.
- 500g diced beef
For the curry paste:
- 3 banana shallots
- 3 lemongrass stalks
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 red birdseye chillies
- 30g peeled ginger
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
For the sauce:
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lemongrass stalk, cut in half and bashed
- 400ml coconut cream
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 40g toasted desiccated coconut
- Sugar & salt to taste
- Blend together all the ingredients for the curry paste so you end up with a fairly smooth paste.
- Fry the paste, along with the cardamom, cloves, star anise & cinnamon sticks until fragrant.
- Stir in the beef & lemongrass stalk and fry for a few minutes.
- Next add the coconut cream, followed by the tamarind paste, toasted coconut & lime leaves.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer with a lid on for 3-4 hours until the meat is falling apart and tender.
- Season to taste with salt & sugar.
- Serve you beef rendang with steamed or coconut rice. I also like to serve some roti canai which you can usually find in the frozen section in larger supermarkets.
Other recipes you might like